What is MSM?
Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM is an organic chemical found in humans, animals and plants. It is one of the key building blocks of glycosaminoglycans, a major structural component of cartilage and an important element in the maintenance of joint cartilage. MSM is also an organic source of sulfur to the human body.
Major uses of MSM
MSM is mainly used in the alleviation of osteoarthritis, gastrointestinal upsets, microbial infections, musculoskeletal pain, boosting the immune system and for fighting allergies.
Healthy benefits of MSM:
Organic and biologically active sulfur is critical for the optimal functioning of every cell, tissue and body organ. This is because inorganic sulfur is poorly absorbed and assimilated into the body, which makes the consumption of organic sulfur important in preventing its deficiency. One of the most remarkable benefits of MSM is its action as an effective pain reliever. For this reason, MSM is used to combat different types of chronic pain such as:
- Lower back pain
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Tennis elbow and other sports injuries
- RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)
- Muscle aches
- Scars due to burns, operations, accidents,
- Personal injury due to accidents, burns, etc
- Carpal Syndrome
- Headaches and migraines
How does MSM work?
MSM’s effect on pain is due to the following actions on the body:
- MSM is a natural pain killer, and works by blocking the conduction of pain impulses through nerve fibers.
- MSM prevents inflammation by increasing the activity of cortisol, which is a natural anti-inflammatory chemical produced in the body.
- MSM improves the absorption of nutrients such as vitamins, and speeds up the elimination of excessive cellular fluids and waste products from the body. This is achieved by increasing the permeability of the cell membrane.
- MSM enhances blood circulation through the body by dilating blood vessels. This further helps in healing by increasing the elimination of waste products from the body.
- MSM is a muscle relaxant and alleviates pain by reducing chronic muscle tension, which aggravates many types of chronic pains.
- MSM boosts the immune system by regulating the formation of antibodies, immune complexes and the metabolism of prostaglandins.
Actions of MSM
3 grams per day of MSM should be taken daily for arthritis and other joint problems. This is normally in two or three doses every day, usually as 2x840mg capsules with each meal. 3 capsules can also be taken in the morning and before bedtime.
MSM should be taken in the recommended dosages for an extended period of time so as to provide pain relief. It should not be taken with the blood thinner Warfarin, or by persons allergic to shellfish. However, MSM is safe even when taken in high doses.